Good Riddance

The most antagonistic, divisive and disingenuous prop blog extant is finally shutting down. But on his way out, Dan Benton took some parting shots at the prop industry, which in his words is

“a predominantly filthy place filled with the likes of Jason DeBord, Jim Manning and Joe Maddalena. In my opinion it is these people, for lack of a better term, are bottom feeders who ride the coattails of others to what they consider ‘the top’ for them.” [sic]

Very classy.

Benton also addresses a curious issue:

“Finally, the biggest question of all: Did Alec and Propworx own The Prop Blog?

As I’ve said from day one, Alec and I are friends, we worked together previously, but he had nothing to do with The Prop Blog and certainly no creative control over it. The timing of this post and the shutting down of Propworx is merely coincidental. I just learned about Propworx shutting down this afternoon when checking The Movie Prop Forum for the first time in a few weeks.”

I’m sorry: I call bullshit. He just learned about Propworx closing down? Tsk, tsk.

Update (Sep. 1, 2012): Looks like Benton’s post has been removed.

Update (Sep. 4, 2012): Despite announcing its closure, the website domain has been renewed for another 2 years, leaving the door open for an eventual comeback? Or just making sure no one else grabs the domain?

41 comments

1. Alec Peters says:

I haven’t spoken to Dan in 6 months when he stopped writing his blog back in March. At least Dan would confront the fraud in this hobby no one else would. There were major items in the last Profiles auction that were clearly not was claimed and who wrote about that? Shannon, you were there when the X-men prop master pointed out a fake X-men item. Who brought that to the public’s attention? NO ONE. Someone got ripped off on that because the people with the knowledge did nothing. A lot of sucking up in this hobby and anyone who points out the hypocrisy gets blasted. People are too busy making money to care if someone else gets ripped off. At least Dan cared.

2. David says:

Alec Peters wrote:
    “…you were there when the X-men prop master pointed out a fake X-men item. Who brought that to the public’s attention? NO ONE. Someone got ripped off on that because the people with the knowledge did nothing.”

So Alec Peters also knew about this and did NOTHING?

If Dan Benton ( a former employee of Alec Peters) cared so much about the hobby he “stumbled upon” why is he getting out? Why did Dan Benton only write 3 articles in the last 9 months. Why did he remove his last article about the Prop Blog shutting down. Was he not confident of what he wrote? I wonder what is on those recorded conversations? Since Dan Benton gave permission for them to be released, I would love to hear them! Let’s be honest, it doesn’t sound like he really “cared”.

David

• Art Andrews says:

3. loken1701 says:

David:

Since you are an anonymous troll with an agenda, you don’t get a reply.

Fong:

You may of course contact me directly to discuss at length. I have enormous respect for you Fong.

Alec

4. David says:

Alec Peters wrote:
    “David:
    Since you are an anonymous troll with an agenda, you don’t get a reply.”

As Mike Wallace once said “Sometimes the questions are more interesting than the answers” . I think this statement applies to Alec Peters answer. Forgive me for having the audacity to ask pointed questions.

Alec Peters wrote:
    “Fong:
    The conversation was in confidence between the prop master and certain others. I do not have the right to break that confidence and name names or items.”

So, if I read this correctly, this was a confidential conversation? Yet you come to this site and YOU bring up the topic and then call out Shannon Wendlick? It seems like you already broke the confidence! Since you now can not share any more information on the X- Men item I will make it easy on you. What were the other “major items in the last Profiles auction that were clearly not was claimed”?

I read on your site that you are an attorney by training. Try to leave out the hearsay and speak only to which you have first hand knowledge. It makes for a more interesting conversation.

By the way, my name is David Pearson.

5. This is the second time I am called out by Alec when he is trying to further or push his own agenda. If you want to continue your crusade that historically looks forward at others and never back at yourself….keep me out of it.

6. loken1701 says:

Actually, I didn’t “Call you out” Shannon, but merely mentioned your name. But I do apologize. I often forget not everyone wants to be as public in their opinions as me. My bad.

• Constance ReMinda says:

many believe it is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, rather than open it and confirm same. A missed lesson for the gang from PropWorst

7. Alec Peters says:

I have already had a phone call with Fong about the items mentioned above and referred him to those who can help with the info.

And if anyone bothers to do their research, they will find the thread on the X Wing fighter being a crew gift and not a screen used piece on the MPF. I am merely reciting what was reported. The person who questioned it is a known expert, and I was even there when he talked with another expert, standing in front of the Profiles display at SDCC explaining why it was not screen used.

Let’s face it, no one wants to actually prove anything is fake, lest they offend someone else. Blogs outside of mine (startrekprops.com) rarely report on fake items in Profiles because people don’t want to offend Joe or endanger their ability to put items in a Profiles auction.

Alec

8. David says:

Alec Peters wrote:
    ” I am merely reciting what was reported. The person who questioned it is a known expert, and I was even there when he talked with another expert, standing in front of the Profiles display at SDCC explaining why it was not screen used.”

For those who are not members of the MPF, can you post the information here so everyone can see it? Also, what are the names of the experts you overheard talking about the x-wing. Since you were there during the conversation, I am sure there are no confidence issues in this case.

David Pearson

• David says:

Art Andrews wrote:
      “David, I actually had the privilege of hearing at least one of those recordings first-hand. Pretty much told me all I needed to know about Dan, who he worked for, what his agenda was and what was the agenda of his employer. It was shocking how bold and direct he was about exactly what the two of them were doing together.”

Art, Thanks for the great response. It makes me even more curious to hear those recorded conversations. Since you only mentioned Dan and “his employer”, it would be inappropriate for me to speculate or have an opinion on who Dan’s employer is/was since speculation and opinions are not facts.

I almost missed your response because it was buried in the body of the comment section as a reply to my post. Thanks for responding!

David Pearson

9. Jan says:

Here’s the Google cache for the page in question:

Good riddance, phony.

Like Shelly Littleton, Dan Benton was employed by Alec Peters in order to give “Propworx” a positive voice, because Alec could never, ever generate positive publicity himself through his own actions. This all occurred after the debacle of the “Collectible Shipping Service”, the fake feedback on his eBay accounts from employees, or the accusations of shill bidding at all of Propworx’s auctions, and all the other BS that happened during Peters’ reign of terror.

There’s also the lawsuit that was dismissed between him and Jason DeBord over “libel,” because the OPB had the audacity to report on Alec Peters’ shenanigans instead of handling it “behind the scenes”.

Along with being “good” at playing with other people’s money, or giving props that “fell off the truck” in exchange for “loyalty” to his “friends” and employees, Alec has always been “good” at deflecting questions about his faults by bringing up red herrings. Case in point are the X-Wing and the X-Men props that are allegedly false, or were misinterpreted. Or throwing other people under the bus.

See these:

Back to Alec’s tendency at deflection: those two things (or the other wrong doings of others) have no basis in the discussion that concerns his company’s actions, or his attempt to renege on his debits via Chapter 7 voluntary bankruptcy.

The above discussion about “other fraud” in the industry has no bearing on the fact that Propworx owes over $200k to MGM for Stargate props that were sold, yet MGM’s percentage of the monies were never paid. (The PACER records for the bankruptcy are very illuminating on that subject.)

This demonstrates his “wantrepreneur” mentality, and his irresponsibility as business owner from Day 1, and how he operates his company like the boiler room operation that it truly was. In terms of closing the doors of PW, he fails to notify his customers directly using the Propworx website, its newsletter or its Facebook page… but yet posts boastfully on nearly every Prop collecting forum out there. Save, yet again, the Propworx forum… until he does that sometime later because “someone else didn’t catch that”, as if it is the responsibility other people to “catch” his oversights.

He also removes the Propworx name from the Galileo Restoration project website. To quote Don H. on that: “If you’re so proud of that name, I’d be sure to put it back, ASAP.”

But again, this is all intertwined as the real issue is that AP’s house of cards has now fallen down, all the rats are leaving the sinking ship and trying to move away from the wreck. Peters. Benton. Degen.

The true legacy of Propworx and The Prop Blog: point out the fraud of others within the industry while committing our own fraud.

Because, if you can’t dazzle people with brilliance, you can baffle them with bullshit.

• justthefactsmam says:

Couldn’t have said it better myself. Now Peters is trying to be a professional actor and suckers are giving him money for some cockamamie kickstarter campaign for a twenty minute piece o crap trek fan thing. Don’t those donors know he owes hundreds of thousands of dollars to creditors?

• loken1701 says:

Wow, you really have an ax to grind dont you? Not sure who you are, but maybe you should actually sign your real name. And if you have the guts, say your lies to my face. Lets face it you never will because you are a coward and a troll.

And for the record troll, I am not trying to be a professional actor and I dont owe hundreds of thousands to creditors as that is a lie. But the truth doesn’t matter to you does it?

What a pathetic troll.

10. justthefactsmam says:

Benton also addresses a curious issue:

“Finally, the biggest question of all: Did Alec and Propworx own The Prop Blog?

Hey fatboy, you know what truth is don’t ya? He registered the propblog (and being the dumbass he is used his real name only to later make the registration private). Zing! Too late, your caught. Court records also support he started the blog to advertise his bankrupt Proporx. Boy fatso I think all your donut eating has affected your truth meter.

• loken1701 says:

Wow, your life must be so sad that you have to spew your hatred on a two year old blog post. Hope it makes your pathetic life a little better for you. How cares about your nonsense? I have new, no one.

• Constance ReMinda says:

LOL yet psycho responds about “hatred on a 2 year old post” post’s old but deception is still accurate.Thus your compulsion to reply. As a student of what was then called “abnormal psychology” ive enjoyed Alex peters rants..err posts for years. If you need to learn about Fallacy If Logic in your arguments, being evasive, red herring, attacking the poster, replies that are fluff, well he is your source. Looked PATHETIC at the ’13 trek convention and the dealers all shared the same opinion of his bs. Egomaniac sociopath that, if you ever checks his posts , doesnt make mistakes, no mea culpa but attacks EVERYONE ..and now look whos at the bottom of the dreg fraud pile. oh yeah but he was one of a zillion forbes to look out of in 1885 or something . well bravo.. you ARE the best..at being the worst consistently.

“Who cares about “just thefacts” nonsense” you ..clearly.. thats why you “answer” the posts yet never address the issue, just “wheres your name” (notice his is now loken1701) and all types of irrelvant nonsense

Im so glad people remember the Collectible Shipping Service fraud & deception. And that Xmen auction deflection in which the bait was taken lol And after Chapter 7 he sold on his linnear account at ebay lol anyone smell fraudulent conveyance? he gets busted and busted and just says “oh yeah but profiles did… ” AND THEN HE THINKS HE GETS AWAY WITH IT ROFLMAO

Dont they have axes to grind? YES because youve attacked everyone while being the worst of all. Mr. Alec “deflector shields at full..we need more power..transfer auxillary power” Peters- good riddance

• loken1701 says:

Blah Blah Blah. You are probably the same internet troll just posting multiple times. NO customer ever got screwed by Propworx and in fact, our auctions are generally considered the best prop auctions ever.

You are just a sad, bitter person who has never accomplished anything in life. Go away and pester someone else with your hatred and lies.

11. ronbaressio says:

Peters owning hundreds of thousands of dollars and his starting The Prop Blog to promote Propworx can be read in his own words and seen in his bankrupcy court documents.

He has been banned from the RPF, MPF, Star Trek Forums, and elsewhere–

Please, Mr. Peters, show everyone where this is not true. Show us. No hate involved, just facts.

• Don Hillenbrand is a fraud says:

ronbaressio or Don Hillenbrand as the Star Trek prop community unfortunately knows you by, more anonymous trolling? Using a fake name now? Maybe you should tell everyone how you are supporting fraud in this hobby by supporting the fraud Kevin Hanson who ripped off Alec Peters. (And then banned him from his forum which you support). So you are basically defrauding people in your blog now eh? Attacking legitimate people like Alec while you hide behind your sad existence of a bitter old single man with no friends or family.

• no name says:

DH he is a very bitter, psychotic and cruel fricking baby! and a know it all wack job on meds…………….has a family but no friends whatsoever!

12. ronbaressio says:

I see Alec still replies with the hater and you’re a loser thing like he always does. People do that when they can’t prove what’s said is untrue. If anything said is untrue, then prove it Alec. To the last guy who replied, are you actually suggesting anyone who brings up legitimate facts about Alec is an attacker, bitter, single, and without friends? What does that have to do with anything? The Don Hillenbrandt you speak of is not the only one with a brain that works, and I am not him. Focus on what is being discussed and stop embarrassing yourselves.

• Don Hillenbrand is a fraud says:

How many names you use Don? Lets face it, you are the only guy who is stalking Alec after all these years. How sad your life must be that hate for Alec is your only joy in life. Grow up and go away. Just because are a lonely old gay man with no family or friends, doesn’t mean you should take your anger out on Alec. We know it is you Don. Go away.

• ronbaressio says:

It’s Ron, not Don, Alec. The only thing to face is the truth and facts. Neither of which you are familiar with. The best reply you come up with is you’re a lonely old gay man? Talk about being hateful. You are very bad at disguising your true colors Alec or one friend of Alec.

• no name says:

He hates himself, his family and life in general………..he is a miserable SOB! this is fact! He loves making everyone around him as miserable as he is…Cruel is too kind of a word.

someone that knows.

13. What sort of dumbass would suddenly think I’d use sock puppets (like they have in so many instances “Don Hillenbrant is a fraud”??)? I’m always proud to use my own name when exposing stupidity, egotism and rampant dishonest – in other words, talking about Alec Peters. For the record, there’s not a single case of me hiding behind others and there never will be.

I will say that it is gratifying to know that there are others out there to whom the Benton/Peters dance was as transparent as it was to me. And I see there are some readers of my Blog here as well. ” if you can’t dazzle people with brilliance, you can baffle them with bullshit.” Ah, the classics.

Anyway, as usual Mr. Peters will not give any facts to back up his claims since there aren’t any. So he’ll just make some up! Remember: truly stupid people have no idea how stupid they are. Poor things.

Fong, I hope this stuff isn’t inappropriate. If it is, I quite understand.

• Don Hillenbrand is a fraud says:

The only truly stupid people are the idiots who feel the need to keep attacking someone who has never done anything to them. You are CLEARLY Don Hillenbrand because he is the ONLY dumb ass who has stalked Alec across the Internet, waging a one man war against someone who has achieved more in this hobby than you have ever even dreamed about.

The fact you keep posting here is evidence you are Don Hillenbrand, as he is the ONLY person stupid enough to keep attacking Alec.

Comments are closed.